How does a foodie say I love you? Through a happy meal, of course!
Valentine’s Day is a great time to introduce your loved ones to healthy foods and snacks that they just might end up asking for all year-round. And let’s face it: there is no better way to say ‘I Love You’ than to encourage healthy eating.
Here are a few great and quick recipes to try:
STARTER: THE LOVE SALAD
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 2 red peppers, seeded
- 4 grated carrots
- 1 skim mozzarella cheese
- 10 – 15 small plum tomatoes
- 1/4 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup salad dressing
In a bowl:
- Slice the tomatoes into halves.
- Using a small, heart-shaped cookie cutter (about 2cm) cut out heart shapes from the cucumber, red peppers, and mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the veggie salad.
- Sprinkle with a generous amount of the salad dressing.
- Just before serving, drizzle olive oil and toss until equally distributed.
MAIN COURSE: HANGER STEAK WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 1g hanger steak
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3-4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in half and sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Grated lemon peel
- In a large Ziploc bag put 3 cloves of minced garlic, rosemary, salt, and black pepper. Swish the contents of the bag around to mix. Add the hanger steak to the bag. Place the bag on a large plate and put in the fridge to marinate for 3-4 hours.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat pour olive oil and add the onion and turn the heat to low. Let the onion caramelize, stir every couple of minutes, for about 30 minutes. Add the sugar and a pinch of salt and stir again. Allow onions to caramelize for an additional 10 minutes. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry. Season with remaining salt.
- Bring the pan back to high heat. Add olive oil and once the oil is hot and smoking, add the steak to the pan. After 4-5 minutes, flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes on the other side, until desired. Remove the steak from the pan and allow resting for 5 minutes before serving.
-Slice the steak against the grain and layer on a serving dish and garnish with the caramelized onions and parsley mixture.
Serve with red wine because you know red meat goes with red wine
DESSERT: CHOCOLATE COVERED FRUIT
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 3 bananas
- 1 bar dark chocolate
- 1/2 bar white chocolate
- 1/4 desired crushed nuts
- 1/4 coloured sprinkles
- Insert a wooden skewer into the bottom of a cut/sliced fresh strawberry, banana or any other fruit of your choice.
- Dip the fruit into melted dark chocolate that is at least 60% cocoa.
- You can decorate these with popping sugar, those pretty coloured sprinkles or to make them even healthier use crushed nuts.
When the chocolate is cool, arrange the strawberries in a tray or simply lay them out on a decorative plate.
You can also add more sprinkles of melted white chocolate to make it more appealing.
By Michelle Kahura